26 September 2026

More than antisemitism

This is the first of two responses to the #SydneyMorningHerald after they published a front-page article about the Exclusive Brethren and the Jewish people. 

Here is my response. First, the Letter to the Editor:

 



Letter to the Editor

Bob Mendelsohn | Sydney

As a Jewish man who believes in Yeshua, I read with considerable sadness your report of Bruce Hales’ comments about Jews (“Brethren leader calls Jews ‘wicked’,” September 26).


Let me begin somewhere that may surprise some readers. Jewish people are sinners. I am a sinner. Jewish people need forgiveness. I need forgiveness. I have spent 47 years telling Jewish people that I believe Yeshua is our Messiah. My objection, therefore, is not to taking sin seriously or to Christians proclaiming their faith.


My objection begins when “the Jews” become a collective category of condemnation.


The old accusation that “the Jews killed Christ” has had a terrible history, but it is also poor Christian theology. Jewish leaders were involved in Yeshua’s death; so were Herod, Pontius Pilate and the Romans. The New Testament itself says that Gentiles and the people of Israel were gathered together against him (Acts 4:27). And Christians believe something more profound still: Yeshua willingly laid down his life for human sin.


The cross is not an indictment of an ethnicity. It is God’s answer to the sin of humanity.

Paul, himself a Jew and follower of Yeshua, warned Gentile Christians about precisely the arrogance that can arise toward Jewish people: “Do not boast over the branches” (Romans 11:18). Even while grieving Israel’s unbelief, he described the Jewish people as “beloved for the sake of the fathers” (11:28).


Christians may disagree profoundly with Judaism. We may seek to persuade Jewish people about Yeshua. I certainly do.


But contempt is not evangelism, and collective condemnation of Jews has no place in Christian proclamation.


Bob Mendelsohn
Sydney

No comments:

My Op-Ed to the Sydney morning Herald

  The Jews, Yeshua, and the Language   Christians Must Reject Bob Mendelsohn | Sydney I opened Saturday’s newspaper and was confronted by th...