24 July 2022

Swarms of jellyfish and hamburgers in Kansas City, but wait there's more... Smacks

I grew up near the smells of fast food burgers and onion rings and in fact, I remember breaking my Yom Kippur fast one year for the sweet 19-cent price (plus a penny for tax, of course) of a burger with ketchup and pickle. Ah, the 1960s. Ah, Smaks Drive-in was only 100 metres away from my Orthodox Jewish synagogue, so their temptation burgers were doubly damning. After all, we were not supposed to carry money on the Sabbath, and certainly never on the Sabbath of Sabbaths, the Day of Atonement. But I did that year, and I also gave in to a burger.  At least I didn't drive in; at least I only walked over. One out of three in keeping the Torah, not a bad effort.

What prompts this memory today? Long after Smaks went down to the mighty McDonalds power grab (see this 1-minute explanation: https://youtu.be/n3UW1tgqveQ ),

I'm hearing about other smacks. This time jellyfish are rolling into the sea near Israel from the Indian Ocean via the Suez Canal. Smacks are the 'group name' of a band, a flock, a drove of jellyfish and that's not a good thing either.  We live with jellyfish here in Australia from October to May and it's never good to know a smack of them are nearby. Or should I say 'is nearby?' The grammar police will love that one. 

Ronda Rousey and Brock Lesnar may know all about Smackdown, and maybe you do also, but I'm new to WW anything, and can't say as I want to learn much more about this type of fighting and entertainment. Smacking was made seriously illegal for schools and in most cases in domestic situations years ago, but the WWE smackdown is full-on in welcoming it to television. God help us.

This weekend is the annual Splendor in the Grass up near Byron Bay, but it's been smacked with mud due to the massive low weather system and the torrential rains all along the NSW coast. Music is happening, but complaints are almost louder than the sounds from the stage. The owners of the festival are giving refunds to some, but probably not enough to make up for the inconveniences. 

What do you do when your world crashes in around you, when you don't live up to your religion? When the plans you have fall apart? When Enemies come in like a flood or like a smack of jellyfish, where do you turn?

I'm a believer in Jesus. He brought stability to my life and he can bring peace to yours. Ask me if you want to know more.


No comments:

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...