21 January 2019

Disappointment

I imagine we all have suffered this sometimes-crippling emotion. We anticipate something or long for it, or dream of it, put our time and energy into investing to make it happen, and for whatever reasons, it just doesn't happen. Johnny was supposed to call Sylvia back and he didn't do so. The boss told me he was going to give me a raise, and that never eventuated. Millicent promised her neighbor Maurice she would watch his plants and water and care for them while he was away on holiday, and she forgot. Several of the plants died. As a result, Sylvia, and I and Maurice all experienced disappointment. 

Psychology Today said in 2012 after love and regret it's the 3rd most commonly experienced emotion. According to the old adage, “disappointment is expectation divided by reality.” I visited the PT website to find some significant advice and some well-worn chronology to the emotion and consequences of disappointment. And I was not disappointed.  The trail is wide and the content well worth the read. It's endless, as well, which could be wearying for the casual wanderer into such a journey. Start here. Especially read this one by blogger Melanie Greenberg. 

For instance, Jim Taylor (teaches at USF, Ph.D.) writes "Disappointment is a normal, though difficult, part of growing up. Your children will inevitably experience disappointment in school, sports, the arts, and in their social lives. How your children learn to respond to disappointment will determine its impact on their future achievement and happiness." 

I really liked that comment. Watching my own kids fail at times, or remembering when I failed as a child, and now as an adult, when I fail again, what I do with that failure and the commensurate emotion of disappointment will impact what happens next and certainly how I feel about what happens next.

Both Beverly Flaxington and DW Rainey (Rainey, D. W., Larsen, J., & Yost, J. H. (2009). Disappointment theory and disappointment among baseball fans. Journal of Sport Behavior, 32(3), ) comment on longevity of disappoinments helping people to handle them. They both use sports imagery. And indicate that a losing team, which always loses, doesn't disappoint long-time fans. Why? The fans are used to losing. Obviously then their expectations are lowered, and when they lose the Big Game, a shrug of the shoulders is common rather than tearing one's hair out. 

What prompted my thinking about this topic today? Perhaps it's the loss of the Kansas University Jayhawks to the West Virginia Mountaineers. After all WVU had started the conference season at 0 and 5, meaning their fans were getting used to losing, having lost all five of their matches against Big 12 opponents. And perhaps because Kansas is a perennial winner of the conference championships, and I'm an alumnus of this hallowed basketball icon. 

Losses happen; no team ever finshes the season without a loss. But my expectations were so high on today's game, with a Hall of Fame coach in Bill Self, and some pretty good players on the court, well, it just seemed a good time to win another road game. But I felt disappointed when the Jayhawks lost. 

What else prompted my thinking about this topic today? I'm worried about the Kansas City Chiefs dropping teh ball like the Jayhawks did. It is their first time in the Conference championship game (vs the New England Patriots) in deccades. Expectations are high; worries join them. Will the Chiefs perform well in the cold and snow? Will the offense catch those passes from phenom Patrick Mahomes? Will the defnese show up like they did last week against the Indianapolis Colts? Time and ESPN here in Sydney will tell. 

What else? I suppose my own personal commitments to serve people and particularly to love my wife and children are often met with disappointments. I let them down. I plan to take out the rubbish, or to bring in the laundry, or help put away the dishes, but sometimes I forget, or the phone rings and I drop the ball.

The words of the Prayer Book (Anglican) remind me, "we have gone our own way, not loving you as we ought, nor loving our neighbors as ourselves. We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed and in what we have failed to do." Weekly to pray this might most make anyone feel disappointed, but if you know yourself and your own sinful tendency, this regular confession of sin is actually a disappointment-preventative. I know myself. I know I will not perform perfectly. I know I will disappoint others. I know God knows who I am and He appreciates my confessing my sins, and my failures and I can again hear clear words of pardon and hope in what comes next.

Perhaps the studies of Flaxington and Rainey should help me understand myself. Not to excuse me, nor to cause me to stop trying to be better, but to forgive my failures that much quicker. And to forgive the Jayhawks or the Kansas City Royals or whoever. 

PT's advice is 6 strategies when you are disappointed:
"1. Revise expectations: Try a bit of “retroactive pessimism.” Social psychologists have identified what they call a “hindsight bias” in which you can limit their disappointment by revising the high expectations you once had for winning. Tell yourself you didn’t really expect to win, and as time goes by, the new memory will replace the painful, original memory.

2. Increase your disappointment tolerance. There’s no reason that people low in disappointment tolerance have to remain that way forever. Don’t let disappointment breed pessimism because if you do, you’re likely to set yourself up for even more disappointment in the future.

3. Don’t let disappointment skew economic decisions. When feeling disappointed, a person is more likely to sell at a loss. If your favorite sports team lost the championship, don’t rush to dump your treasure chest full of memorabilia onto eBay.

4. Assess a person’s role in personal disappointments. People can control many of the outcomes in their personal lives. If someone’s expectations in love and work chronically fail to materialize, make an honest appraisal of what needs to be changed.

5. Control identification with a losing cause. The sports fans who feel the most let down are the ones who identify most strongly with their teams. There’s nothing wrong with being loyal, but if it impairs a person’s daily happiness, he or she needs to find other ways to boost their spirits.

6. Use humor to boost the disappointment emotion. Loyal sports fans who retain their loyalty despite years of disappointing outcomes almost seem to relish their identification with the underdog. Perhaps by joining the ranks of fellow sufferers, a person can find solace in self-deprecating humor. Laughter is truly one of the best coping strategies for dealing with disappointments, and offsets the consequences of faulty pessimism-based decisions."

Consider this from the Gospel of John, "But Jesus, on His part, was not entrusting Himself to them, for He knew all men, and because He did not need anyone to testify concerning man, for He Himself knew what was in man." (2.24-25)

I suppose this was a preventative Yeshua used in relation to humanity. After all, in just a couple more years He would be dobbed in to the governmental leaders and crucified for crimes He didn't commit. Was He disappointed? Nope; He knew both His mission and humanity's natural responses.

My hope for you in 2019, set goals, sure. Set standards of behavior and love and morality and activities. And set up a way to forgive yourself if you don't reach or maintain those standards. Hurdles on a cinder track make for a great addition to a race, and falling on those hurdles slows a runner down, sometimes to the point of loss. And losses can be disappointing, .So, put into your life hands that lift you up after you hit the hurdles. Yeshua is the most obvious choice. His forgiveness is eternal and life-changing. And He won't disappoint!

Romans 5:5. "hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disappointment - His appointment,
Change one letter, then I see
That the thwarting of my purpose
Is God's better choice for me.
His appointment must be blessing
Though it may come in disguise
For the end from the beginning,
Open to His wisdom lies.
Disappointment - His appointment
Whose? The Lord's who loves best.
Understands and knows me fully,
Who my faith and love would test.
For like loving, earthy parent
He rejoices when He knows
That His child accepts unquestioned
All that from His wisdom flows.
Disappointment - His appointment
No good thing will he withhold
From denials oft we gather
Treasures from His love untold.
Well, He knows each broken purpose
Leads to fuller deeper trust
And the end of all His dealings
Proves our God is wise and just.
Disappointment - His appointment
Lord I take it then as such,
Like the clay in hands of potter
Yielding wholly to Thy touch
All my life's plan is Thy molding
Not one single choice be mine
Let me answer unrepining,
Father not my will but Thine.
Words by Phil Keaggy

Bob Mendelsohn said...

Thanks to 'anonymous' for that. Here's Phil's singing of that same song. I loved it, too. From the album, "Love broke through"
https://youtu.be/jIqtc37gWqU

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...