28 December 2018

How to ditch the pitch on New Year's Resolutions

by Carolyne Rohrig

It’s that time of year again.
I don’t mean Hanukkah.
Or Christmas.
I’m talking about those pesky New Year’s resolutions.
This year I’m staying clear of them.
I’ll let you make them if you want.
I’m not going to go on a diet, buy a gym membership, eat healthier, or be nicer to my brother.
I am staying just the way I am. Plump, self-indulgent, and cranky.
I don’t like failure. Who does? I don’t want to start the New Year in the negative. I want a few weeks of blissful self-illusion.
Have you noticed as the year closes how your inbox expands with tips for improved living? How to speak Hebrew in six weeks. How to find the mate of your dreams online. How to improve your relationship with your therapist. How to write a memoir.
All it takes is money. And sweat.
No thanks.
You’d think everyone would see the hype, but every year there are enough desperate people who believe the gimmicks.

The truth is we all want hope. Every one of us wants to be thinner, healthier, younger, and wealthier.
But have you noticed how these things promise results but deliver disappointment?
The gym banks on you dropping out.
The recipe you’re making only works on TV.
Last year’s fashions are this year’s thrift store deals.
Nothing changes, and everything changes.
If we put our hope in things, we’ll soon discover we’re bankrupt.
There’s only one place to put our hope and it’s in a person— Yeshua (Jesus). When he makes a promise, he delivers it. And he promised that if anyone puts their trust in him as Messiah, he will forgive their sins and give them eternal life.
And this is the will of him who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day. – John 6:40 NKJV
Now that’s my idea of success. The certain kind.
Why bother with lesser promises that don’t deliver when you can have God-guaranteed ones?  Instead of self-improvement propaganda, find the lasting improvements only God can offer.
I’d rather be chunky and happy in Jesus than nasty and model-thin without Him.
How about you? Are you ready to put your hope in Jesus?
Leave me a fat comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can’t agree more

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...