25 May 2015

Honestly


What do you think when you read the acronym in a text message "tbh?" In the world of SMS coverage, "to be honest" seems a simple jargon phrase that says, "I'm telling you the truth." Of course, that kind of phrase makes me wonder about all the other phrases and other statements the person with whom I'm communicating. Were they being honest earlier? Will they continue to be honest?

On TV, the interviewer kept the slogan "Can I be honest with you?" when the Hollywood star is being challenged to tell about the latest movie blockbuster. What is the interviewer to respond? Please, be honest with me. Of course, but were you being honest earlier or will you continue to tell me the truth?

My mother used to inquire into my disclosures, when I was a young man, even a teen. She heard me tell her about my (lack of) homework or about a person with whom I had a disagreement, and she would ask, "Honest engine?" (Of course it might have been more "Honest injun?" but I have to worry about Native American reaction today.) Her inquiry had to do with a 2nd-level verification, almost like a captcha code.

Some today use the phrase, "Are you kidding me?" for such verification in personal conversation. Others would simply take the comment on board with "Wow" or "That's amazing!"

What about you? When you speak, or text, or write... do you need to say "I'm telling you the truth" or "TBH?"

I'm glad when God wanted to speak, long ago, or today to my heart, He simply spoke. He simply speaks. He calls us to know Him. And His Word is true. And truth. And reliable, verifiable, trustworthy. Yeshua said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." He said, "If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Freedom. Sounds good. Honestly.

1 comment:

Bob Mendelsohn said...

A Singapore friend wrote these two quotes from history

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. ~Winston Churchill

In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same. ~Albert Einstein

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...