14 March 2012

God's fullness (Fullness Part II)

What do you think of when I use the term 'fullness?' Maybe I should have asked and then put up no photo, but I start most of my blogs with a photo and then ponder what it's saying. Today and this whole week I've been thinking about fullness, about God's fullness, about being full of the Spirit, about being filled with joy and love and awe and wonder. Other biblical terms include abundance, fill, full, fully satisfied, fulness, satisfied.

Each of those terms brings to mind certain principles and certain realities, even feelings from my past. I love the feeling of awe and wonder when I fly and climb that moment just above the clouds. I feel full when I sing certain songs of worship which draw me closer to God. I love a great meal and sometimes add dessert, when I should have stopped, and feel full upon full, a bit uncomfortable to be sure, but fullness, yes, that will describe it.

Beauty can show me fullness. Music can lift me in fullness to the heights. Architecture can draw me up and up in a cathedral so that I think thoughts that are higher than what I was daydreaming about a moment earlier.

 The Bible says in the Psalms "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever. That's the fullness of God, and it's found in the presence of God. (Psalm 16.11)

Paul wrote to the Galatians (4.4) "But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law." Fullness in this case has to do with time being up, and God was ready to do, and willing to do, and the time was 'right' to do what He planned forever to do. It's like when you study for the exam, for the program, and finally the morning comes for you to sit the test. The clock ticks over and it's time. Fullness is progressive. The gauge shows quarter full, half full, almost full, and finally full. Then my cup runs over.

 All that to highlight the great comment of the Apostle Paul, "in Him [Y'shua],all the fullness of deity dwelt in bodily form" (Colossians 2.9) Whatever was God, whatever is God, whatever will be God...all of that, all of Him... is in Jesus. If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus. If you want to know what God likes, what He loves, in what He takes pleasure, look at Jesus. In Him, in bodily form, all the fullness of God dwells. There is beauty. There is form. There is immeasurable satisfaction. And abundance. What joy unspeakable and full of glory. Take a moment. The time is right. The time might just be your time. Even now.

No comments:

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...