21 September 2011

Jews, Gentiles, and Israel

Back in the 1970s I ministered at a place in Lawrence, Kansas called The Mustard Seed. The church grew out of a Bible study group I started in 1972. I was the founding pastor but in 1977 left leadership and eventually left town in 1979. But I've returned every now and then and find it a wonderful place for the Gospel. A woman who was part of our group then was Valerie. And over the decades we have kept up and certainly so in the world of Facebook.

Today she and I wrote because her church in Oklahoma is asking her to bring some teaching about Israel. She's not Jewish, but her love for the Jewish people is clear and her desire for God's glory is sincere.

So Val and I messaged what she might teach and I thought I'd share it with you, if you are in such a circumstance at your church.
Maybe have a three-part series. Each would have plenty of biblical references and modern day examples. 1) God's plan for Israel (to be saved and to teach others about him) and 2) what God is doing with Jews today (sort of a collection of God stories in testimonies of today) and 3) God's plan for the Jewish people at the end of times.
For 1) Use the Biblical Theology of Mission link on Sermons. 2) For Testimonies, why not use some of the Videos here or the life stories of others (for text) Life Stories. For 3) Israel, see God's plan for Israel

Of course, most of you reading this are not in a place where there are significant numbers of Jewish people. So you might wonder, then, what does this three-part series have to do with Gentiles?

How about an application for Gentiles? That is, how about the role of Gentiles viz this three-part teaching on Jewish people. ( I guess this is the 4th part)
"For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem. Yes, they were pleased to do so, and they are indebted to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in their spiritual things, they are indebted to minister to them also in material things." (Romans 15.26-27)
so 1) Gentiles have a role to play in financial support of Jewish believers

and "But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them." (Romans 11.13-14)
2) Gentiles have a 'jealousy' thing to do for unsaved Jews, to compel them to come in.

Hope that helps if you are asked to (or ask your pastor yourself!) bring such a series. Even if you don't do this officially, you might want to study this on your own. What do you think?

No comments:

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...