13 July 2011

After and apparent age

After by bobmendo
After, a photo by bobmendo on Flickr.

The other photo below is the look of my tooth after an encounter with my tennis racquet last weekend. This is the photo after the dentist repaired me today. Fantastic work!
BEFORE

Maybe if you need some dental work, you should see Dr Phillip Zoldan, whom I would count a friend and one who does great work. Maybe he'll give you a discount, if you mention me. Maybe not. BTW, he's in Edgecliff in Sydney's inner eastern suburbs.

Dr Z and I speak every time we meet about Y'shua. And today was no different. We spoke about the creationist movement for a moment. Of course we also talked about davening and the birth of my new grandson, but we'll get to that on another blog.

Creationism is the belief that what God said in the Bible is true, that He created the world in 6 days, and that it was about 6,000 years ago.

One of the 'proofs' of that theory is the notion of apparent age. By that I mean that when God made the world, He made it to look a certain age. It was not 'brand new' although in years, it was. Maybe an example would help.

The first miracle that Y'shua performed according to his friend John, was turning water into wine at a wedding in Cana of Galilee. Pretty amazing, eh? OK, so how old is good wine? However long you answer, it's aged, to be sure. Yet, when Y'shua made it technically it was 0. It was brand new. So it had 'apparent' age.

Consider the 'birth' of Adam and Eve. How old were they? If I remember right, the rabbis teach that Adam was 20 when he was created. So, how old was he? He was 0, but he appeared to be 20. See how this works?

So today my new resin and whatever else Dr Z put on my tooth made my tooth look 60, you know, rather old in the tooth. But that's how long I've had my teeth, and that's a good match. But in reality it was 0; brand new!

I wonder if you've ever thought about this type of answer to a biblical question before. And thankfully the good dentist was able to well fix me before my travels next week to the US to see my grandchild. More later.

No comments:

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...