27 July 2010

Crocodile feeding

Psa. 147.9 He gives to the beast its food














Let's see if I can put these stills into order. My wife and I were in Darwin, at Crocodylus Park, and the tour guide gave her the rod, like a fishing rod, to which he tied the chicken on the end, and she got to feed the 5 metre long croc. Too cool.

Feeding animals reminds me of the care that all the zookeepers and others who work at the park have for all the animals. I put a lot of the photos of the animals on my Flickr site. Emus and ostriches, tiger and lions, monkeys, you get it. The dingo was so domesticated that he preferred a tummy rub by the zookeep to a chase in the wild.

Even though there are 10,000 crocodiles in the park, and most are raised for products like belts and boots and handbags, I enjoyed being there and seeing them. They are ferocious though, and warnings abound about extending your body over the wrong edge.

Each croc can jump high out of the water. Amazing creatures. They can run at 30 kph, and dart out of the water to consume photogs and others standing on the side of a pond or creek. I was glad for the cage. I like safety.

So there you have it, I like safety and I like animals. And the zookeepers at Crocodylus Park and the rangers have great care for the animals.

When I listened to them, I wondered, what does this say about mankind and about God? I suppose as a demonstration of the love He has for us all, He tells us to tend the garden, keep it, subdue the earth, make it a good place. God made the animals on the last day, the same day as He made man. When man ruined the world, and God had to punish the world, He made sure that animals would abound on the other side of the deluvian world as He told Noah to take animals onto the ark. (Psalm 36.6)

He wanted man to regard species in their place, hence no bestiality (Lev. 18.23), and if someone wrongly killed an animal, he was fiscally responsible. (Lev. 24.18).
Giving drink to a thirsty animal is praised (Psalm 104.11)

My favorite is
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast, But the compassion of the wicked is cruel." (Proverbs 12.10)

If God so loved the world, and that includes you, loved you so much that He sent Y'shua to die for you and give you eternal life, ought you not also have compassion on others, share love and life? And if that means your neighbour's dog or your friend's budgee, great. A bit of kindness goes a long way, amen?

No comments:

As unto the Lord... a sermon on conscience given in Sydney in April 2024

  As unto the Lord—don’t judge the servant of another!   A sermon on conscience from Romans 14 By Bob Mendelsohn Given at Sans Souci Anglica...